Despite the fact that they are addictive as cocaine or heroin, fizzy drinks are full of sugar that are bad for the health, and after the drink we feel tired and sleepy. Have you ever wondered what it does to your body when you’re drinking Coca-Cola and other carbonated drinks that are full of sugar? The internet portal Truth Theory made a graph based on research. They showed what happens in the body one hour after we drink a soda.
These are the results:
- In the first 10 minutes was found 10 teaspoons of sugar, which is more than enough dose for the entire day.
- 20 minutes The blood sugar causes a rush of insulin and the liver is making special efforts to turn that sugar into fat
- 40 minutes Caffeine is completely absorbed, pupils dilated, your blood pressure rises, and the liver releases sugar into the bloodstream. The adenosine receptors in the brain are blocked, preventing sleepiness.
- 45 minutes Your body produces dopamine, which stimulates the pleasure centers in the brain, similar to heroin.
- 60 minutes Phosphoric acid binds with calcium, magnesium and zinc in the lower part of the intestine and stimulate the metabolism. That is even more complex due to the high doses of sugar and artificial sweeteners which increase the excretion of calcium. Caffeine has diuretic properties and it makes you urinate more frequently so that you lose sodium, electrolytes and water from the body. There is a dropping on the sugar level in your body and you become irritable and lazy. Except the fact that you have lost fluids, you even lose the substances which are useful in strengthening your bones and teeth.
Coca-Cola does not only contain a large amount of corn syrup, but also salt and caffeine. Anyways, sodas are full of acids that damage tooth enamel and lead to cavities and artificial colors can stain teeth. Only one tin can contains 39 grams of sugar, which is a daily dose – explains a former pharmacist Dr. Sameer Pate.
He added that it the more we drink soda, the more damage is increased that can occur to the teeth. It takes only 20 seconds for the bacteria to start producing acid in the mouth and it can erode the enamel to half an hour. If it only takes you 30 minutes to drink everything, then the harm to the teeth is significantly extended. Sugarless chewing gum helps reduce acid in the mouth.
Regular consumption of large quantities of beverages such as Coca-Cola tends to increase blood pressure, chances for heart disease, diabetes and obesity. These Coca-Cola facts may shock you, but they are good indicator of why it should be avoided – says nutritionist Ella Allred.
The caffeine in Coca-Cola destroys certain receptors in the brain that make us feel cautious and awake. After the effect of the brew, we become dehydrated, tired and sleepy, and again we keen on stimulating more energy. Sugar and caffeine stimulate the same pleasure centers in the brain as cocaine and heroin and it makes us want more and more.
Experts advise limiting the intake of sugar in the body to seven teaspoons or cubes a day. In addition to other health benefits, it will reduce the risk of tooth decay among children.
This article is for informational purposes only, and is educational in nature. Statements made here have not been evaluated by the FDA. This article is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease. Please discuss with your own, qualified health care provider before adding in supplements or making any changes in your diet. PAID ENDORSEMENT DISCLOSURE: In order for me to support my blogging activities, I may receive monetary compensation or other types of remuneration for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial and/or link to any products or services from this blog.