The durian fruit is popular in Southeast Asia and is even known as the King of Fruits. Durian is well-known for its strong odor that usually turns off people who have encountered the fruit for the first time.
However, once opened and tasted, the durian fruit is actually sweet, delicious and healthy as well. It is so healthy that the flesh is not only the one that gives health benefits, but also its leaves and skin.
The flesh has many nutrients such as fat, iron, calcium, carbohydrates, riboflavin and folate. The most notable nutrients found in the durian fruits are phosphorus and iron. These two minerals are 10 times more than the ones found in bananas.
- Eating the flesh of the fruits is believed to cure jaundice.
- Durian has manganese, which can maintain your blood sugar levels so that your numbers will be more stable.
- The flesh of the fruit has B vitamins as well as potassium and calcium. When combined, these three can contribute to the health of your bones and joints.
- Eating durian may be able to help you overcome anemia because the fruit is rich in folate and iron.
- The fruit is also good for your teeth and mouth because of its phosphorus content.
- Vitamin C in this fruit can help prevent premature aging, since the mentioned vitamin acts as an antioxidant that repels toxins.
- Vitamin B6 in the fruit can help reduce stress levels and therefore decrease the risk of depression.
- One serving of the fruit can give you almost 20% of the daily recommended value for carbohydrates. If you’re not trying to avoid carbs in your diet, durian is a good source for it. Carbohydrates are great for people who need extra energy such as athletes and runners.
- Durian has tryptophan which is actually called the natural sleeping pill. If you are having trouble falling asleep, you can turn to durian to induce a restful sleep.
- Durian also has thiamin, providing you 30% of the recommended amount. Your body needs thiamin to digest carbohydrates and turn them into energy. Thiamin is also great for the health of your nerves and muscles.
These 10 benefits of durian can truly help you achieve good health. You should note though that durian is high in cholesterol and sugar. People with diabetes and high blood pressure as well as pregnant women are advised to eat the fruit in moderation.
This article is for informational purposes only, and is educational in nature. Statements made here have not been evaluated by the FDA. This article is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease. Please discuss with your own, qualified health care provider before adding in supplements or making any changes in your diet. PAID ENDORSEMENT DISCLOSURE: In order for me to support my blogging activities, I may receive monetary compensation or other types of remuneration for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial and/or link to any products or services from this blog.